History

Attractions
Businesses
Events
Community
Churches
Schools
Real Estate
History

Library
Contact Us
Home

Yesterday House Museum
Located on Main Street, features the largest barbed wire collection in the region as well as turn of the century historical items and history of the Post Rock area.

Open: May through October on Saturday and Sunday 1:00 - 5:00 PM

For appointment phone 785-526-7270

The museum is maintained by the Sylvan Grove Historical Society.


Sylvan Gets a Bank
(The following are excerpts from the book Honoring Our Heritage by Marge Lawson)

On March 4, 1892, eleven men met for the purpose of organizing a bank at Sylvan Grove. The capital stock of Five Thousand Dollars was subscribed and the name of the bank selected. On April 7, 1892, the Sylvan State Bank opened for business. It was a little wooden building located one block north of the tracks on the west side of main street. On November 12, 1894, the Sylvan State Bank was involved in an event that has survived the decades to become a legend – the first attempt to rob a bank in Lincoln County. An armed bandit robbed the bank, but upon his attempted getaway, was shot and killed by the bank cashier. Two accomplices on horseback managed to get away. All of the stolen money was recovered on the dead man.
In 1897, the little wooden bank burned and a limestone building was built to replace it. The bank was temporarily housed in the Star Motel during the building of the new bank.
In 1912, a new brick bank was built with office rooms and then later the city library upstairs. This building, although renovated and expanded, still houses the bank in Sylvan Grove today.